June 05, 2018
Being Healthy Inside Makes Your Skin Glow
The part cannot be well unless the whole is well" -Plato With Plato's words echoing in our ear and the common adage "you are what you eat" on repeat in our brain, we're thinking about the connectivity between the wellness of our body to our skin and complexion. It is a common misconception that our complexion is hereditary, but it is becoming more commonly believed that what we eat, how we feel, our mood levels, sleep cycles and environment all play a pivotal role in the health of our skin. After all, how can we expect to have healthy, glowing skin if other parts of our daily lives are unbalanced? Many of us are prone to stress, lack of sleep and improper diet which can lead to acne, dryness, psoriasis, clogged pores, puffiness, dull complexion and a whole host of other unpleasant skin issues. We may rely on moisturizing products to ensure that our skin stays hydrated and clean, but maintaining balance in our lives is key to naturally glowing skin. Here are our tips on how to stay healthy inside:
- Meditation- incorporating a 5-10 minute guided meditation can have lasting effects during the day and we can all spare a few minutes. Choose your favorite app that lets you unwind and tap into your inner calm.
- Meal Prep- prepping food prior to the week eliminates the rush or impromptu trips for quick and not-so-healthy meals. By consciously packing or planning meals, you can save time and increase your awareness of the quality and amount of food that you eat.
- Supplements: A daily multivitamin can provide the extra boost of energy and supplement those nutrients we can't always get from our food (hello vitamin D!)
- Incorporating a Humidifier: Dermatologists and Estheticians encourage falling asleep with a humidifier to provide extra moisture so that environmental dryness from indoor air conditioning or central heating does not dry out your skin.
- Moisturizing:Make sure to incorporate a skin (link to moisturizer page) and body moisturizer into your routine. Self care is the name of the game!
- Laughter & Friends:Work can get us all stressed at certain moments, but don't forget to make time in your life for laughter with friends. Worried about wrinkles - don't be! Laugh lines are beautiful!
- Exercise and Yoga: Get those endorphins moving and your heart pumping to naturally combat anxiety or negative thoughts.
- Mindfulness:Acting consciously towards yourself and others creates a natural balance in how you think and behave.
- Reading vs. Social Media: Pick up a book and put down the screens!
- Helping Others: Volunteering can help you reduce stress, combat depression, keep you mentally stimulated, and provide a sense of purpose.